As Electrical Fire Safety Week is upon us for another year, it’s a good time to share some top tips to help keep you safe from the risk of electrical fire. Good advice to last all year round:
- Don’t charge laptops and mobile phones on flammable materials e.g. beds or cushions. When charging, ensure they are on a suitable flat surface, and don’t charge overnight.
- Don’t overload plug sockets, and check cables regularly to ensure they are not worn, frayed or damaged. Replace them if necessary.
- Turn off all sockets and unplug items when not in use (except items which are designed to be left on e.g. fridges and freezers).
- Buy genuine chargers which have to comply with safety standards, fake ones can be unsafe.
- Do you know your fire extinguisher classifications? For an electrical fire a CO2 fire extinguisher is suitable.